The lifeblood of any online business is traffic, traffic, and more traffic.
Let's face it, you can have the greatest product on the market, but if nobody knows about it, you'll never make a sale.
There are thousands of ways to get traffic to your site, but a lot of them get pretty expensive. For example, you should really know what you're doing before you start using certain techniques such as Pay-Per-Click (PPC), CPA, CPM, etc. or it will become a big waste of time and money.
When I first got started I made the mistake of jumping into PPC. Although I got a lot of traffic with it, I also got a large bill and just getting started I really couldn't afford that method.
There are loads of traffic generation techniques you can use to get traffic to your site for free or at a very low cost. Just a few of the techniques are:
1. Social networking - Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Myspace, the list goes on. You have heard of them all, but have you been using them to market your business yet. If not, you're really missing the boat. There are literally millions of people on all of these services, and you could have instant access to them all.
2. Article marketing - Writing articles is one of the best ways to get free traffic to your site. You write an article, submit it to thousands of eZines, and it's out there forever.
You could easily make sales from an article you wrote five years ago. To get started, you'll want to go one of the many eZine directory lists you can find by typing in eZine directory in your favorite search engine. Search for eZines that are related to your niche and start submitting your articles.
There are article submitters that you can purchase. But if you're on a budget, you can do it yourself. It's just a little more time consuming.
3. Blogs - Blogs are a great traffic generation technique you can use to generate a ton of free traffic. Search engines absolutely love blogs, and if done correctly it is very possible to have your blog in one of the top search engine rankings very quickly. This is why all of the top marketers around have blogs.
4. Viral list builders - Many of these types of sites are starting to pop up around the web, and they can be a very good way to generate leads and sales. Most of these sites are free with a pay option, such as Viral Url, List Joe, and List Auction.
Some of them will even let you send e-mails to a certain number of its members for free. All you have to do is look at the adds they send you in the e-mails.
There are also link exchanges. With link exchanges you put other members links on your website, every time you have an impression, or a click on their ad you receive credits towards your own ad getting displayed somewhere else.
5. Giveaways - Joining a JV giveaway is a great way to build your list fast. All you need is a product you can give away and a capture page to gather the names for your list.
With a giveaway basically you sign up for free to list the product you are going to give away inside the members area. Then members can sign up and download your free offer... but not instantly... they have to sign up through your capture page. This way the contributor gets the name and email address from a member and has the person on his opt-in list. Some giveaways require a minimum list size, but most don't.
I guarantee if you start using all these free and low cost traffic generation techniques in your business, your sales will jump and your list will start growing quickly.