To be successful as an internet marketer and make money online you need traffic. There is just no substitute for it. Good quantities of targeted traffic can be turned into prospects, leads and customers in just about any niche, but to get the most targeted search engine traffic you need to know how to get backlinks.
I've been in the internet marketing game for a while now and have tried just about every method you can think of to get traffic. I've submitted videos to Youtube, written articles, posted to copious social networking sites, done joint ventures and paid a lot of money on advertising. But by far the most responsive and profitable traffic I've encountered has been search engine traffic.
Search engine traffic consists of people looking for specific information and if you can connect with these people and provide the information they're looking for (even if it's an introduction and a link to an affiliate product) then you will get responses. But search engine traffic is difficult to come by and competitive. To help you get more of it you need backlinks.
Unfortunately getting backlinks isn't always easy, so in an effort to help you get started, here's 5 ways to get backlinks that will be most effective for your website's search engine results page rankings.
1. Submitting articles. By far the easiest way to get lots of good quality one way backlinks is writing articles. This works for two reasons. First, you get a backlink from the article directory where you submit and second you get backlinks from sites that pick up your article and publish them on their own sites. And the best thing about these backlinks is that you generally can control the anchor text that the backlink uses to connect to your site.
2. Creating quality Squidoo lenses and Hubpages. These sites are great. It is easy to join and create quality posts and get traffic and you can also get paid a proportion of the revenue that the parent sites get from advertising. But aside from this you can also control the body text in the posts and include hyperlinks, which can be used to create good quailty high PR backlinks to your other sites.
3. Creating profiles on social sites. There are a lot of different social sites in cyberspace and despite popular belief most social sites aren't bookmarking sites. A simple series of searches in Google can uncover a bunch of sites relaed to your own niche that allow you to create a profile page where you can create links back to your other sites. And these sites often also include the ability to create blogs and journals where you can add additional content and anchor text links.
4. Buying links. This is generally frowned upon by Google and you can get penalised here, but it is common knowledge that links from high PR websites can be bought and sold.
5. Link exchanges. While not the most effective form of getting backlinks, link exchanges can be useful in particular if you can arrange an exchange with a high PR website.
When you're first starting out and trying to get your site boosted up the search engine results pages it pays to be consistent with your backlinking efforts and don't be too concerned about the phenomenon known as the Google Dance, whereby your ranking will vary wildly at times. This is all part of the process of showing your site's relevance and authority to the search engines.
If you can be consistent with your backlinking efforts over time you will get traffic and your traffic will bring your good results because it is targeted and responsive. For anyone who's serious about internet marketing and making money online search engine traffic should be a primary consideration in your marketing strategy and getting backlinks is the name of the game.