Once upon a time, sending innumerable unsolicited emails was one of the best ways to become a successful online entrepreneur. Today, the picture has changed completely. Armed with the powerful CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act), people are compelling entrepreneurs to understand the importance of building an opt-in mailing list.
Why is there so much hue and cry about an opt-in mailing list? Well, let's try to analyze the situation. How do you feel when a salesman knocks at your door when you're hurriedly getting ready for the office? Do you tear your hair out when you find your inbox flooded with unsolicited emails? If you find yourself nodding your head up and down for both these questions, then as an entrepreneur why do you feel agitated about issues and laws pertaining to commercial emails? To make things simple and palatable, let's delve out the benefits of building an opt-in mailing list.
1. A life-long commitment- When a person signs up to your mailing list, he not only expresses interest in your product, but also makes a commitment to develop and sustain a long-term relationship with you. Now, it is up to you how you define, fortify and enhance this relationship. Your subscriber considers you his friend, philosopher and guide, and confers upon you the right to recommend products and services that are beneficial to him. This commitment and faith creates a picture that is far, far better than direct sales pitch.
2. An effective market research tool- Your mailing list is an invaluable market research tool. Hundreds of products are launched everyday. However, not all products may be beneficial to your subscribers. Why not ask your patrons what all they need to make their lives easy. This is where you can put your mailing list into use. With the results of your market research, you can make your business more profitable.
3. Ensures consistent income- Yet, another benefit of building a mailing list is that it provides you a steady stream of income. Your subscribers form your customer base. All you need to do is to send them an enticing offer. A majority of them would grab the offer and keep your cash counter rolling.
In order to ensure an exorbitant turnover, you would have to put in a bit of effort. For instance, you can segregate your mailing list into categories like those who have purchased an item from you more than once or those who have returned a product, etc. Once you have divided the list, you can send offers accordingly. In other words, you can easily determine who gets what and when. This approach helps you to calculate how much profit you are going to make and what all you can do to increase it.
4. Low-cost advertising- Your opt-in mailing list is an inexpensive means of advertising. An email neither requires paper, ink and postage nor expensive posters or billboards. Moreover, you can send so many things in an email like newsletters, e-zines, coupons, images, sales alerts and even links of your site and blog.
5. Competition edge- One more benefit of building a mailing list is that it allows you to stay miles ahead of your competitors. Now, this point requires a bit of explanation. Unlike other forms of advertisements, emails provide instant results. As soon as a marketing idea comes to your mind, you can have it delivered at your customer's doorstep, and get instant response. With innovative ideas, you can always stay ahead of your competitors.
I believe that an email is a thousand times better than a telemarketer or product salesman. Also the above paragraphs have established the imperativeness of building an opt-in mailing list. So, what are you waiting for? Ardently follow the guidelines spelled out in the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 for companies and individuals who send commercial emails, and start building your list.
Receive your FREE eBook now on how to build your very own profit pulling mailing list overnight. For more tips on list building check out my blog.