When people set up an internet business they often fall into the trap of thinking it will be quick and easy. The complete newbie may believe that all they have to do is throw money into expensive advertising or marketing tools, and money will start pouring into their bank account. Sadly, this is the way to frustration and disillusionment. If you really want to know the way to financial freedom, it is less about spending money, and more about using your brain through learning and hard work.
When starting an online business the first thing you need to do is to learn all you can about internet marketing. The good thing about this kind of business is that you can start putting what you are learning into practice straight away. There is no waiting until you have qualifications before you start the work!
The other mistake many people make is to allow themselves to get distracted by signing up for too many programs at the start, or by emails and e-books telling you to do this, or try that. It is important to focus on one thing at a time. Learn a marketing strategy, put it into practice and then move onto the next thing. After a while you will get a feel for what's working and what isn't and where you feel most comfortable. You can then concentrate on the strategies that work for you and become an expert in these.
So, where do you learn? Here are some guidelines for learning your way to financial freedom with your home business.
1. Use Your Sponsor. When you join an affiliate marketing company, you will have joined under a sponsor, who will usually be someone just like you, who is building their business. Even if they have only just started themselves, they will be one step ahead of you, so ask for their advice. If you are lucky, you may have signed up with someone who is fully experienced and will be able to tell you what to do and what to. Don't be shy. Introduce yourself to your sponsor straight away and ask what you should do next. This business is all about teamwork, and if you avoid others it is unlikely to work for you.
2. Find Training. Most good affiliate programs will have their own training system. Explore the website and follow any step-by-step training program they have. Affiliate companies such as PlugInProfit and Success University have very good training for beginners. However, don't think you have to do everything they tell you, especially if it means spending a lot of money. Anything you buy should be researched by using forums (see below) before you rush in and spend money you cannot afford. If you are on a tight budget stick to the free and inexpensive marketing methods. These can be just as effective, and you can always invest a bit of money once you start making some.
3. Use Forums Many affiliate programs have their own forum. However, there are also plenty of general internet marketing and home business forums on the web, such as Conquer Your Niche, or the Warrior Forum. Most of the people in these forums are very ready to give advice and encouragement to new members. In particular, pay attention to those who have been members for a long time. They will have the expertise that newer members do not.
4. E-books When you have got to know a few people who are experienced at running a home business, you can ask them where to find the best e-books on various internet marketing strategies. Some of them might even have written some themselves. This is the best way to find e-books, because they will be endorsed by people you trust, rather than just something you have found on a search engine.
5. Develop Yourself To achieve success in any business requires a certain amount of self awareness, confidence and self-belief. The most successful business owners I know spend a lot of time developing positive thinking and self confidence. You can easily find books, audio/visual and online resources you can use to improve areas that need development, or you can employ the services of a business or life coach.
To learn your way to financial freedom it is absolutely necessary to keep an open mind and take action on the advice you receive. Learn as much as you can, stay focussed, be patient, take massive action, and you will achieve the goals you want to achieve.
Ros runs her own online business and is also a successful writer and life coach.