For a personal injury attorney, having a legal website and being actively involved in internet marketing can either be an exciting opportunity or an extremely frustrating ordeal. Unless you are doing things right, you are probably working way too hard without seeing the results you deserve.
There is a common misconception that it is easy to get rich quick through marketing your law firm on the internet. While it is possible for a personal injury lawyer to see stunning results online, it requires a lot of patience, planning and hard work; not to mention avoiding these five common mistakes.
Here are the five most common internet marketing mistakes made by personal injury lawyers. No matter where you are in establishing your online presence, you'll want to make sure you sidestep these errors:
1. Not Planning: If you want to reach your goals, you need to have a full online marketing plan for obtaining them. As a personal injury attorney, you already understand the importance of planning ahead before ever being rewarded for your hard work. Much like the time and effort you have invested in your education and case files before reaping the benefits, internet marketing requires the same front-end effort.
2. Focused on the Wrong Person: Too many personal injury attorneys build their websites around themselves. Instead of talking about you and your accomplishments, discuss what your prospects are looking for! What do you have that they want? What unique benefits can you provide? What answers can you offer them? While it is important to discuss your credentials in order to earn their trust, do your best to avoid bombarding others with the words
I" and "me".
3. Waiting for Traffic to Arrive: So you've got your website up and everything in place to captivate your reader's attention and compel them to use your services whenever they need a personal injury attorney. So what now? Many lawyers end up leaving their websites sitting somewhere in cyberspace that is nearly impossible for prospects to find.
Unless you spend the time, effort and money to attract visitors to your site, you will be hearing crickets for a long time. Some great ways to attract prospects include optimizing your site for search engines, writing white papers and articles, blogging, publishing press releases, creating pay-per-click campaigns and marketing your legal website offline.
4. Not Collecting Email Addresses: Every personal injury lawyer needs people to market to. While you don't necessarily have any products to sell, it is a vital part of internet marketing to do everything possible so you can be top of mind whenever somebody needs your services. By giving visitors free reports or information guides and simply asking for their name and email address in return, you can create a mailing list to which you can send newsletters and other educational material.
5. Ignoring Analytics: Lastly, unless you are tracking all your law firm's internet marketing statistics, it is unlikely you'll know what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. By setting up Google Analytics on all your pages, tracking your law firm's marketing campaigns, and measuring the conversion rates and return on investment for everything you do, you'll set yourself up for much more success in the future.
It isn't difficult to implement any of these legal marketing strategies, yet it is vital to your success online. There are many personal injury attorneys competing with you over the same prospects, so it is more necessary than ever to improve your entire process.
The great thing about internet marketing is that anything can be changed at any given time. Don't be discouraged if you've made these mistakes in the past, most personal injury lawyers have; which is why these are "common" errors. However, by avoiding these five mistakes you'll separate yourself from the pack and see incredible results.
Stephen Fairley is CEO of The Rainmaker Institute, the nation's largest law firm marketing company. Attorneys: claim your FREE legal marketing CD '7 Keys to a 7 Figure Law Practice' at http://www.LawFirmMarketingStrategies.com