Studies have shown that the major causes of male pattern baldness (androgenic alopecia) can be linked to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Therefore, the most effective hair loss help can be found in products that focus on blocking the build up DHT in you hair follicles. Unfortunately, the majority of products on the market are not effective in this regard.
Female hair loss can be a devastating and socially debilitating condition. As our society glorifies beautiful, long, full, thick hair, sufferers of hair loss are cowering under hats and wigs, feeling alone and depressed, and experiencing great discomfort during intimate times with their husbands or significant others. On the job can be just as bad. There is always that feeling that others are whispering their comments or giving sorrowful looks of sympathy. No one really knows how it feels unless they experience it for themselves.
Hair Loss Symptoms:
Most people notice hair loss when looking at themselves in a mirror.
You may also find many hairs on your pillow in the morning or in your hairbrush or comb.
A woman may notice a decrease in the size of her ponytail.
Aside from the thinning hair itself, most people do not have other problems associated with hair loss.
Causes for Hair Loss:
Illness, stress, and other factors can cause too many hairs to enter the resting (telogen) phase of the hair growth cycle, and it produces a dramatic increase in the amount of hair shed (effluvium), usually without bald patches. In many cases, telogen effluvium usually resolves in a few months on its own. Causes of telogen effluvium include:
High Fever, Severe Infection, Severe Flu
Major Surgery/Chronic Illness
Inadequate Protein in Diet
Low Serum Iron
Birth Control Pills
Treatments For Hair Loss:
Treatments vary widely, dependent upon age, cause and general body condition. The first step is to see a physician. Hair loss can be an early sign of some diseases, like diabetes, and these need to be ruled out. As well, if your scalp is itchy and scaly, it is possible that a bacterial or fungal infection is at work. Fortunately, these can easily be resolved.
Women who experience hair loss during or immediately following pregnancy or after surgery should not be alarmed. Chances are, these are temporary conditions and will right themselves.
Poor diet and lack of exercise can be culprits as well. The important thing is to rule out any of the simpler, temporary causes and set your mind at ease.
For others, hair loss is considered a permanent condition. Whether a result of heredity or hormones, it is there to stay unless treatments can be successful.
There are separate treatments for the reduction in the rate of hair loss and for the potential re-growth of hair that is already gone. For reduction in rate only, the following suggestions are widely made:
1. Stop using harsh shampoos; those with surfactants (lathering ingredients) are tough on hair and can cause early demise of hair strands.
2. Stop using dry heat methods of drying and styling. Get a hair style that does not require so much blow-drying or, worse, curling irons.
3. Stop coloring and treating so much; these processes damage hair, and as it is brushed or combed, greater loss will be the result
4. Fix your diet with well-balanced meals, particularly high in protein and natural oils can help.
5. Exercise more to increase the blood supply to your scalp. Increased blood supply can help to keep follicles healthy and producing.
6. Try to reduce your reactions to stress and anxiety. If you have normal stress that is typical in your day, find time to relax and get peaceful. Yoga and other forms of meditation can help to reduce your stress and anxiety.
7. Try natural remedies; these include essential oils and herbs which, in various mixtures, can be spread on the scalp and help follicles to remain open and healthy.
For reduction in rate and the potential of re-growth, there are a variety of medical options. These are advertised through all media, and most include research results which show the levels of effectiveness. Some contain both man-made chemicals and natural ingredients, some one or the other.
Solid investigation and some experimentation are warranted, so that you find the one that works best for you. This can be a lengthy process, because you may have to wait 3-6 months to determine effectiveness.