These are some of the most frequently encountered hair problems and their solutions.
1. Coated Hair-Rinses
Problem: Customer is about to receive a permanent wave, but the hair is heavily coated and excessively dry.
Cause: Hair has been exposed to too many hair rinses.
Solution: To insure a better wave, and avoid the possibility of discoloration, the coating should be stripped off. This can be done with a Metalex Treatment. The hair is saturated with the Metalex, then heated for 30 minutes with either a heating cap or a steamer. The coating will then be removed and the hair will be reconditioned, leaving it in a workable condition. If the coating is excessively heavy, several treatments may be needed.
2. Henna Pack Interferes With Permanent Waving
Problem: Sometimes the coating left after a henna pack interferes with permanent waving.
Cause: Many applications of henna have coated hair heavily.
Solution: Give a Metalex treatment to remove the coating. A series of treatments may be necessary.
3. Dull, Gummy Hair
Problem: Hair tends to gum up after color treatments.
Cause: This may be due to hard water prevalent in many communities.
Solution: Use Sylk in your shampoo or give a Sylk Rinse after the hair has been shampooed. In very bad cases, it is necessary to give two Sylk Rinses to rid the hair of this gum.
4. Resistant Hair
Problem: Impossible to get 100 percent coverage on gray hair.
Cause: Hair is extremely resistant to color.
Solution: Any of the following:
1. Since this type hair will not absorb color rapidly, the color has a tendency to be rejected and to roll down the strand of hair. One solution is to apply the tint lightly to the new growth the first time. As soon as the application is completed, go over the same areas again using a greater quantity of the same material. During the few minutes the original application is on, the cuticle layer will be softened and the hair will become more receptive to the tint.
2. Add a few capfuls of Miss Clairol Black Velvet to the tint mixture. This gives a little more coloring value and thus insures better coverage.
3. Mix two ounces of the color selected with 1% ounces of Clairoxide or Pure White Creme Developer.
4. If any of the above methods fail, then hair should be pre-softened. Instead of using an oil bleach method, however, apply Miss Clairol Topaz to the new growth. This method decreases the development time of the desired shade, because while softening the hair it is also adding some color to the gray and white hair. If the Topaz is not applied too heavily, the hair need not be pre-shampooed. Selected color can be applied directly over it.
5. Over-porous hair - difficult to tint or permanent wave.
Problem: Sometimes the hair is over-porous and has a tendency to grab too much color or too much of the permanent wave solution. This makes tinting or permanent wave treatments difficult to control.
Cause: Hair may become over-porous from over-bleaching, improper permanent waving, sun-bleaching or improper tinting.
Solution: Some of the porosity may be reduced by using Clairol Hair-So-New as a filler. Shampoo the hair and rinse thoroughly. Apply Hair-So-New to the ends of the hair and then to the crown of the head, using just enough to give a smooth, silky feeling. Comb through the hair, distributing the lotion evenly throughout. (If only certain portions of the hair need treatment, apply the Hair-So-New to these portions.) Towel dry. The tinting or permanent wave solution may then be applied to damp hair or the hair may be dried first.
6. Relieving Snarls And Tangles On Tinted And Bleached Hair
Problem: Products may be used to remove snarls and tangles from newly shampooed hair. On tinted hair, however, many of these products have a tendency to strip the color.
Cause: Stripping is caused by the chemical reaction of these products on the hair coloring. This is particularly true of creme rinses.
Solution: This may be avoided through the use of Clairol Hair-So-New. Hair-So-New is applied to the hair immediately after the shampoo or a newly given tint. It removes the snarls and tangles instantly, but has no effect upon color.
There are of course other problems which may be encountered, but conquering the above will be a good start!
Who Else Wants The Hair Coloring Tip Only The Professional Hair Stylist Know!