Having installed hundreds of kitchens over the years, one of the biggest mistakes that I see homeowners make is that they get so focused on the look of the kitchen and don't think about the functionality of it. Adding custom pieces that look like furniture and installing dishwashers in the drawers sounds innovative and eye-catching, but will it really fit your families needs?
Storage space is even more important in a small kitchen, where counter space is limited and you can't afford to have unnecessary items taking up space on the counter. Over the years I have come across some creative ways and creative products that can help organize kitchen and maximize the use of storage space, so I thought I would share some of them
1) Drawer Organizers- for whatever reason, drawers tend to become the catch-all area of the kitchen. Any small item, or seldom used piece gets thrown in the drawer to be forgotten about. There are a lot of creative items on the market right now that help you maximize the drawer space that you have and eliminate the clutter on your counter tops.
Aside from just organizing your utensils, you can now take that cutting board and knife set that has been sitting on your counter and stick it in easy to reach, organized drawer. How about taking those spices off the counter and putting them in an organized drawer with easy access next to the stove? You can even get rid of that bread box you have on the counter and convert a drawer into a bread box.
2) Appliance Caddy's- every home should have one of these and it is a great way to de-clutter your countertops and still have access to all the day to day appliances you use.
3) Pull-out Waste Baskets- While this won't help with countertop space, it will certainly help with the unsightly trash can. There are several companies out there that set kits to convert a base cabinet into a pull out wastebasket that gets tucked away and out of sight.
4) Door Mounted Racks- Personally, I think every kitchen should have a couple of these on the doors. Mounted to the back of the doors for base cabinet or wall cabinets, door-mounted racks can be used to organize cleaning supplies, spices, canned goods (just about anything you can think of). Not only do they take advantage of unused space, but they help de-clutter, and put frequently used items at your finger tips.
5) Pull-Out Wall and Base Organizers- If you look around any kitchen, there is always going to be dead or unused space. The latest trend in kitchen organization is the utilization of pull-out wall and base organizers. This is simply a 3", 6", or 9" wide vertical racking system that can hold spices, cans, pans, or anything you can think of. Some companies offer pegboards to mount pots and pans.
The great thing about these products is that they are strong enough to hold a pantry full of canned goods, versatile enough to accommodate all of your pots and pans, and come in a wide range of sizes for both base cabinets and wall cabinets. If you are not familiar with these types of products, I suggest you look up pull-out wall organizers
While I only pointed out a handful of products on the market to help organize your kitchen, there are literally hundreds if not thousands of different products that can fit your particular needs.
So when you are shopping for new kitchen cabinets or looking for ways to maximize the space that you have, make sure you take the time to look for the products that will truly help organize your life.