Important Factors to Know about Winter Tyres
Winters brings with it the most deceptive driving conditions. If you drive a vehicle and live in extreme winter weather and haven’t already thought of changing your car tyres to winter tyres, you are driving at risk. Most people using all-season tyres think they don’t really require winter tyres. However, the fact is for extreme winter conditions, winter tyres are a must for safe driving. Winter tyres are devised to give excellent braking power and grip in cold weather. They are manufactured with a different rubber compound and an optimised tread width which exhibits added grip that prevents the vehicle from slipping on snow or ice-capped roads unlike all season tyres/ summer tyres .
Here, we are sharing some important factors that you must know about winter tyres:
1. In extreme cold conditions like snow, ice, heavy rains, slush, normal tyres/all season tyres/ summer tyres are not able to handle steering, acceleration and braking comfortably. They have lesser grip in these conditions, while winter tyres are made specifically for these conditions and thus offer much better performance.
2. Winter tyres deliver improved safety even on cold, damp roads. The risk of accidents due to wet roads, snow and ice is very less when winter tyres are installed as compared to all season tyres/ summer tyres / all-weather tyres.
3. Winter tyres are especially helpful when the temperatures drop below 7°C. They offer extra grip and shorter stopping distances in cold, damp conditions because of their tread compound which has more natural rubber and advanced silica compounds. In normal tyres/ all season tyres/ summer tyres; the tread compound hardens when temperatures drop, thus providing less grip. Winter tyres reduce the hardening effect.
4. The single-directional tread pattern on winter tyres pushes away snow and ice. The deep tread depth ensures better grip in snowy road conditions. This also ensures considerably shorter stopping distances on both wet and dry roads at low temperatures unlike all season tyres/ summer tyres.
5. When all season tyres/ summer tyres are used in winters, they suffer more wear, which also reduces mileage by up to 20%. Winter tyres help give better mileage in winter weather.
6. Winter tyres should have proper inflation to increase their life and maintain their performance. You need to check their pressure regularly to ensure a safe drive always in winters.
7. All tyres of the vehicle should be changed to winter tyres in case you are considering changing the tyres. Installing only two tyres can be risky and may lead to inefficient performance, especially with respect to handling and control. This is applicable to all-wheel drive, front-wheel drive, and rear-wheel drive equally.
Some Tips To Follow When driving in Chilly Winters:
Though driving in winters is quite tricky to master, yet knowing the right type of tyres may ensure a safer driving experience. Here are a few helpful tips:
Be it all season tyres/ summer tyres / winter tyres; always inspect your tyre for adequate tread. Replace tyres in case of uneven wear or insufficient tread. It should be minimum 2/32 of an inch or greater on all tyres.
Reduce speed while approaching a corner. The key thing is to lift your foot off the accelerator while making sure that wheels are pointing towards the required direction.
Use brakes on straight roads. While going downhill, use engine brake.
As the outside temperature drops, so does the tyre inflation pressure. Make sure tyres are properly inflated irrespective of the type of tyre whether all season tyres/ summer tyres / winter tyres.
Avoid switching lanes on roads with heavy snow.
Maintain safe stopping distances between you and the vehicle in front of you leaving about ten times the usual recommended gap.
Use sunglasses to help reduce the glare of low winter sun on snow.
Armstrong, one of the world's leading tyre manufacturing companies believes that “The best tyres are the ones you don`t have to think about – which is why they have come up with TUFF 360 Warranty Program, a comprehensive , industry-leading coverage that takes you from point A to Point B, worry-free”. Our tyres aren’t just black and round. We have used our centuries worth experiences combined with the latest technology in the industry to create the best tyres we could today; inspired by our mascot, TUFFY the Rhino. TUFFY is tough, savvy, and resilient – he doesn’t shy away from the potholes of the world, and neither should you.