The advent of new technologies and e-learning has brought a new revolution in the education sector. Especially as a great study help for the tribal student for whom it is a challenge to get a quality education, this system is proving to be truly beneficial. However, the main issue that is witnessed in the tribal areas is lower enrolment ratio in schools. But, e-learning has the potential to help in increasing this rate.
We are all aware of the fact how helpful can be the internet as a source of important services like assignment help and proofreading services. For the tribal kids, this can be a real gem and the results are already visible. The tribal students from places like India are also becoming successful in building their career in the mainstream areas.
So, how do e-learning brings opportunities for the students in the tribal areas?
• Access- One major problem with the tribal students is distance. They live in remote places which are far away from the local schools. E-learning works wonder for mending this gap. It gives them the opportunity to get access to edu
cation without the need for them to travel for hours.
• More engagement- E-learning involves the use of audio-visual mediums which are great for keeping the students engaged in the class. The tribal students come from families that live below the poverty level. For them, even affording a mobile phone seems like a luxury. So, the computer-based learning or any programs which include the use of games and large monitors make these children intrigued. This contributes to them being more engaged in these programs, and thus, increase their attendance in classes.
• Quality education- For the tribal students, it is not possible to afford costly or expensive books or courses. So, for them, e-learning brings the opportunity to get access to quality study material. This way, they get a quality education without having to spend a lot of money for that.
• Other skills- Apart from the learning materials that are included in their curriculum, the tribal children also learn how to use a computer on their own. E-learning gives them the opportunity to learn to operate computers from a very young age. This is a key benefit of e-learning and a valuable one. Computer knowledge is essential in today’s world, where, most of the jobs require the employees to have this skill. Apart from this, e-learning also helps in teaching the English better, especially in those countries where English is not the first language. Having a proper knowledge is essential for every individual to communicate at an international level. E-learning and the new technologies have made it much convenient for the learners to better their language knowledge.
• Confidence- E-learning also helps the tribal children to be more confident. This new pedagogical method has increased the interaction between the students and the teachers. It has enabled the tribal students to talk to their teachers with more confidence.
• Self-learning- One great thing about e-learning is that it allows the students to teach themselves. This way, they learn better as they get involved more in the process. The tribal children also bring what they have learnt back to their families. So, they not only teach themselves but, also their families.
The benefits of e-learning are being recognised by everyone. Many NGOs and the governments are doing their parts to bring it to the maximum number of tribal children.