Did you know almost 40% of all car accidents involve getting hit in the rear? According to the research report published by Austroads, about one-quarter of rear-end accidents result in fatal or serious injuries while most rear‑end crashes do not lead to fatalities. And, nearly two‑fifths of CTP insurance claims are for rear-end crashes, amounting to a quarter of all CTP costs.
Austroads also list the causes for severity of rear-end crashes as follow,
- Driver characteristics
- Vehicle factors and
- Road environment
When it comes to rear-end crashes, it is not always easy to find out who is at fault for the accident. By examining the circumstances of the crash carefully, you can identify the fault for rear-end accidents.
Rear-end accidents are can be dangerous as they can result in injuries such as whiplash and other head/neck/spinal injuries.
Legal Remedies for Rear-end Collisions
Your personal injury lawyer in Perth helps you in getting some monetary damages for rear-end collisions. The monetary damage costs you can avail include,
- Medical and hospital Expenses
- Physical therapy expenses
- Damage to your car
- Reduced quality of life
- Pain and suffering
- Lost time at work
- Lost wages
Tips to File a Rear-end Collision Lawsuit
Once the accident occurs, rear-end collisions lawsuits need to be filed as soon as possible. It is important to file the lawsuit before the statute of limitations has expired. Hiring one of the best personal injury law firms in Perth helps you in filing the lawsuit on your behalf. Here we’ve listed a few considerations the plaintiff should follow before filing the lawsuit.
- After the car accident calm yourself and remain silent about who is to blame for the accident. The most common mistake committed by potential litigants following a crash is admitting fault at the first place. Remember, even a simple apology can be manipulated and used against you in the court.
- Make notes of any statements made by the other driver using a smartphone, tablet, or any other electronic device. It is also important to gather basic information such as the other driver’s name and address, license number, and insurance information.
- As mentioned above, the important evidences to be furnished are witness contact information, descriptions of the road, traffic, and weather conditions, and photographs of the vehicles. Try to make a video of the accident scene up close and from a distance as it can be produced in the court to favour your arguments.
- Seek immediate medical attention after the accident because the whiplash motion caused by car accidents can produce injuries the victim may not notice at first. This is an essential step as you do not want the other driver’s attorney to belittle the severity of your injuries because you are not seeking the treatment right away.
Above all, contact an attorney from one of the top-rated personal injury law firms in Perth WA to preserve your right to compensation. Without the help of a personal injury attorney, you will be vulnerable to the tactics of the opposing side’s insurance company.
The author of this article is an experienced personal injury lawyer in Perth with over a decade of experience in the industry. In this article, he explains rear-end car accidents in brief and provides some useful tips to file the lawsuit. Visit http://www.trewinnorman.com.au/ for more information.