"Applying for a higher education scholarship is as much important as applying for a degree course and hence should be treated with much care. Scholarships are specialized grants offered to students having excellent academic performance and distinguished educational background. So you need to prepare yourself beforehand in order to stand a chance of getting a scholarship. However, before you apply for the same, here are a few things you should know:
• The most important element which you need to consider before applying for a scholarship program is the eligibility criteria. You certainly won’t be eligible for all, so make sure you do your research and find out which scholarships you are actually eligible for. Different colleges and universities have different criteria. Make sure you know where you would want to study. The Scholarship for Higher Education Scheme makes an annual announcement of 10,000 scholarships, each at a value of Rs.80000, for students who are pursuing undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the field of Basic Science ad Natural Science. Students who have secured top ranks, within the top 10,000 ranks, qualify for a higher education scholarship. Most often your test scores qualify as the deciding factor of whether you will be sanctioned the scholarship; the higher your score, the better chances you have of getting the scholarship. However, the scholarship offer is based on holistic approach after taking all other documents that are relevant into consideration.
• Once you are done with checking for eligibility criteria start preparing for the scholarship application. A scholarship application is similar to your job application where you want to deliver good impression and look out for any mistake. Your application essay involves talking about your achievements that recommend you for receiving the scholarship. Take your time to analyze the application essay topic, identify the keywords, and make sure you address the questions related to the topic.
• Along with your application form and documents validating your identity, you will need to submit duly signed photocopies of your records from the graduate school including the grades and credentials of the courses you have pursued. In support of the records of your parents’ financial background you will also need to submit photocopies of their financial information including tax returns.
• On some occasions you may need to provide references and a letter of recommendation from your teachers or lecturers. Make sure you choose the right people and demonstrate your skills and abilities that are required for the scholarship program. This will increase your chances of being selected for the scholarship for higher education .
• Before you apply for a scholarship, you must have your resume prepared. Your resume should involve information about you such as study experience, project works, achievements, hobbies and interests, social skills that are related to your field of study.
Applying for a scholarship will be easier for the students, keeping in mind these guidelines.
Rajat Kumar has an engineer’s degree and believes that scholarships play a major role in helping one fulfil the dream of studying abroad. He is now a lecturer in one of the top engineering colleges and loves to educate students on the guidelines to know before applying for a scholarship. Here, he gives information on higher education scholarships.