There is a great demand amongst the new graduates who pass out from the hundreds of colleges and universities, for a scholarship. Scholarship is basically a payment or a grant that is given to support the education of a student. This grant is given to academically well-off students or students who are meritorious.
A student who wants to pursue post-graduation can apply for a PG scholarship. One can get scholarship to study a post-graduation course in India as well as in a foreign country. A student who has got admission in a recognized institution, may require a scholarship to help him/her with accommodation and tuition fees. This is because most people are not able to finance their travelling, accommodation and college fees. Banks are also not always willing to grant education loans and even if they do, a person availing the loan needs to pay back the loaned amount together with interest accrued at high rates. Scholarship for postgraduate students in India is generally awarded by the government, philanthropists, universities and big corporations.
Here are some tips that will help you get your post-graduate scholarship sanctioned:
• The first mantra of getting a scholarship is to start early. When you want to pursue post graduation and if you require a scholarship, it is of utmost importance that the applicant starts preparing as soon as possible. This is because colleges or universities or corporations that are providing the scholarship, have a limited sum allotted for this cause. Thus, applying early will increase your chances of getting a scholarship.
• When applying for a PG scholarship , you will have to meticulously plan and prepare. You need to find out which universities you can apply to and where you stand a chance of getting a scholarship. Check out the different websites of different universities and check out their eligibility criteria and other requirements so that you can shortlist the colleges.
• Look for alternative avenues of scholarship. A student who has secured admission in a college of repute, but has not been able to secure the scholarship can apply to various philanthropic organizations or corporations that provide scholarships to a few students based on merit. The government may also provide some scholarships based on certain criteria.
• After identifying the relevant scholarships that you can apply to, you need to prepare a relevant corresponding essay to support your application. A good essay that is well-targeted, will definitely win you the scholarship.
• Before submitting your application, it is always prudent to get it checked from someone who has some experience with such applications.
• When you are applying for postgraduate scholarships, it is essential to manage the limited time that you have in a smart manner.
Lastly, a person should never lose hope and continuously keep applying even if he/she does not taste success initially.
Rajat Kumar has an engineer’s degree and believes that scholarships play a major role in helping one fulfil the dream of studying abroad. He is now a lecturer in one of the top engineering colleges and loves to educate students on the tips to getpost graduate scholarships sanctioned.