One of the countless worries of entrepreneurs who are already running a business or starting a small business is the question of whether they need a business lawyer. But, most of the entrepreneurs refuse to hire a business lawyer thinking that they charge high rates. As a result, they hire a business attorney in San Diego only if they face any serious legal problems.
Remember the cliché “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure?” It’s not far from the truth! Hiring a business attorney earlier helps you to save more money and helps you in the long run.
There are certain instances that you can handle on your own without taking it to a business lawyer, and they are listed below.
- Creating the business plan
- Choosing a business name
- Reserving a domain name for your business
- Applying for an employee identification number for employee tax purposes
- Applying for business licenses and permits and more.
But, we come across some issues that can only be handled by an experienced business attorney. Such issues are outlined below.
- Former or current employees suing on the grounds of discrimination in hiring, firing or work environment.
- Local or federal government entities investigating your business for violation of any laws.
- In cases you want to make special allocation of profits to your partnership.
Tips to Hire a Business Attorney
When it comes to hiring a business lawyer in San Diego, you cannot just choose one who does wills, house closing or other ‘non-business’ matters. The business attorney you choose should have at least one of the following set of skills.
- Hire a lawyer who has the ability to understand the concept of your business. He should have sufficient knowledge prepare standard form contracts and help you respond to contracts created by other people.
- He should help you decide on whether a corporation or limited liability company (LLC) is the better way to organize a business.
- The attorney you choose should know how to register your business for federal and state tax identification albeit it is the work of your accountant.
- He should help you in registering your products and services for federal trademark and copyright protection.
Follow the above steps to benefit from the advice and guidance of a practiced San Diego business attorney at some point in the process.
The author of this article is the leading business attorney in San Diego with more than a decade of experience in the industry. He has been listed in the 2018 San Diego Rising Stars list powered by Super Lawyers. Visit https://odgerslawgroup.com/ for more information.